You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the new Ishimaru Design website !
New host, new version and more !
More details here

-------------------------------

Bienvenue sur le nouveau site d'Ishimaru Design !
Nouvel hébergement, nouvelle version et encore plus !
Plus de détails ici

#1 2008-03-28 05:55:43

Ishimaru Chiaki
Geek cook

Texts in English

This message is for all members who speak English as their mother language.

The board's English translation is still a beta version, so there might be still a few translations errors, grammar mistakes, etc.

I already did some corrections and reported them to S@m, but the fact that I'm French makes that I might have not seen a few of them.

I open this topic so you can report any mistake.  To help me, I give you this report template to fill in :

[b]Location of the mistake :[/b]
[b]Text with the mistake :[/b]
[b]Corrected text :[/b]

Thanks in advance.

Ishimaru

#2 2008-03-29 05:13:02

AO Admin

Re: Texts in English

Hello,

Location of the mistake : Header area of forum (next to 'Connected as...'
Text with the mistake : Personnal
Corrected text : Personal (only 1 n, not 2 n's)

Another one:

Location of the mistake : In the stats box under each topic
Text with the mistake : 1 people connected during the last 10 minutes (1 member(s) and 0 guest(s)).
Corrected text : I would not use the term 'people' as when 1 user is online, it doesn't make sense as people is plural and person is singular. So can I suggest to use the word 'user' or 'member' instead?

Hope this helps smile

I hate exams  :angry:

#3 2008-03-29 05:40:36

Ishimaru Chiaki
Geek cook

Hello,

Location of the mistake : Header area of forum (next to 'Connected as...'
Text with the mistake : Personnal
Corrected text : Personal (only 1 n, not 2 n's)

I didn't see this one, maybe tiredness ^^"

Another one:

Location of the mistake : In the stats box under each topic
Text with the mistake : 1 people connected during the last 10 minutes (1 member(s) and 0 guest(s)).
Corrected text : I would not use the term 'people' as when 1 user is online, it doesn't make sense as people is plural and person is singular. So can I suggest to use the word 'user' or 'member' instead?

Hope this helps smile

I will replace it by "User(s)"

I will report them both to S@m.

EDIT : Reported and corrected

Last edited by Ishimaru Chiaki (2008-03-29 05:50:00)

#4 2008-03-29 22:29:46

Skittles

Personal is a common mistake with personnel.   They are so similar yet they are completely different meanings.

I will keep my eyes open for any other mistakes.

Actually just looking here right now at the bottom of this window that I am typing in is the location.
Text with the mistake: (use of bbcode and smilies is allowed)
Corrected text:  (use of bbcode and smilies are allowed)

The rule is, when you are talking about more than one you use "are", if it is one then you use "is".

When I was in school a teacher gave us something to help us.  We would always look at what the sentence is talking about.

If more then one it is a "they" if just one thing it's an "it", then we would ask ourselves which sounded right "they is or they are" or "it are or it is".  Because sometimes like in this text, it seems like it could sound okay as "is" or "are", so that's when you look to see if they are speaking of one or more than one.

Hope that doesn't sound like I am trying to give language lessons.  Just trying to help explain just in case someone didn't know.  It could help for future reference. wink

Oh and something I just learned that the French puts a space between the last letter and the punctuation??  Is that correct?  But in English we do not put in a space between the last letter and the punctuation mark.  So far I haven't seen any here, except in Ishimaru's post

Location of the mistake :
Text with the mistake :
Corrected text :

wink

Board footer